Mentorship For Members
To become a mentor or mentee in 2021, you can sign up at the same time you register for the Annual Meeting. The matching of mentors and mentees will occur before the Annual Meeting. Mentors and mentees will be introduced in April and are asked to meet virtually at least twice in the second and third quarters of 2021.
Not able to attend the Annual Meeting? ACOG also provides mentoring opportunities. Following the ACOG-SASGOG mentoring instructions you can also be matched with the SASGOG member.
*Areas of Interest
Career Options in Academic Medicine
Finding a Niche
Legislative & Political Advocacy
Medical Student Education
Getting Credit for What You Do
How to Negotiate for What You Want
SASGOG Curated List of Mentorship Resources
Selected Bibliography: Articles on Mentorship in Obstetrics/Gynecology and Academic Medicine:
- Cain JM, Schulkin J, Parisi V, Power ML, Holzman GB, Williams S. Effects of perceptions and mentorship on pursuing a career in academic medicine in obstetrics and gynecology. Academic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges. 2001;76(6):628-34.
- Cree-Green M, Carreau AM, Davis SM, Frohnert BI, Kaar JL, Ma NS, et al. Peer mentoring for professional and personal growth in academic medicine. J Investig Med. 2020;68(6):1128-34.
- Eubanks AA, MacKinnon RM, Shay KH, Criscione LT, Saunders RD. Speed Mentoring: An Effective & Efficient Path to Development of Mentor Relationships in a Military Obstetrics & Gynecology Residency. Mil Med. 2020.
- Geraci SA, Thigpen SC. A Review of Mentoring in Academic Medicine. Am J Med Sci. 2017;353(2):151-7.
- Nasab S, Rushing JS, Segars JH, Evers E, Handa VL, Lawson S, et al. A Mentorship Program for Academic Obstetrician Gynecologists that Improved Publication and Overall Confidence for Success. Semin Reprod Med. 2019;37(5-06):257-64.
- Quaas AM, Berkowitz LR, Tracy EE. Evaluation of a formal mentoring program in an obstetrics and gynecology residency training program: resident feedback and suggestions. J Grad Med Educ. 2009;1(1):132-8.
- Straus SE, Johnson MO, Marquez C, Feldman MD. Characteristics of successful and failed mentoring relationships: a qualitative study across two academic health centers. Academic medicine: journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges. 2013;88(1):82-9.
Selected General Guides for Mentorship in Academic Medicine:
- University of Michigan Center for Health Leadership and Practice: Mentoring Guide
- University of Washington Underserved Pathway Mentor Manual
- Mark Horoszowski- How to Build a Great Relationship with a Mentor (Harvard Business Review)
- OHSU Faculty Development – Mentorship Resources
- Indiana University School of Medicine: Mentoring Toolkit with Forms
- UMass Curated Mentorship Bibliography
- Harvard Mentorship Guide
- Emory University School of Medicine Mentoring Resources:
MedEdPortal: Curriculum Resources for Mentorship
- Research Mentorship for Medical Trainees Across the Continuum: A Faculty Toolkit (Green et al.)
- A Mentor, Advisor, and Coach (MAC) Program to Enhance the Resident and Mentor Experience (Patel et al.)
- Fundamentals of Mentoring: Three Steps to a Mentee-Driven Relationship (Welch)
- Optimizing Your Mentoring Relationship: A Toolkit for Mentors and Mentees (Aylor et al.)
- The Mentee-Driven Approach to Mentoring Relationships and Career Success: Benefits for Mentors and Mentees (Cruz et al)
- Mentoring Across Differences (Osman and Gottlieb)
Goal-setting & Effective Meetings:
- Duke: Mentoring Compact Discussion Guide (Focus: Research Mentorship)
- University at Albany: Mentee Tools
- Planning for and Defining a Mentoring Relationship:
- Short-term Goals:
- Long-term Goals:
- Indiana University School of Medicine: Meeting Prep and Self-Assessment Forms
- LeeAnn Renninger: The Secret to Giving Great Feedback (TED Talk)
- Kim Scott: Defining Radical Candor – and How to Do It (Harvard Business Review IdeaCast)
- Duke: Mentee and Mentor Self-Assessment Forms:
Updated February 2, 2021